There is an old Irish quote “Boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan; if you can’t make boxty, you’ll never get a man’.” While the old quote makes me cringe, I do have to admit that the potato pancakes are amazingly yummy. I can’t confirm that this is some kind of magic charm for grabbing a man though. (Also maybe he can make them for you!)
1 1/2 cups grated raw potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon whole milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 leek, diced
3/4 cup of Irish Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss the grated potatoes with flour in a large bowl.
2. Stir in mashed potatoes until combined.
3.In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk; mix into the potatoes.
4. Add leeks and cheese.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Drop in the potato mixture, forming patties about 2 inches in diameter. Fry on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
8. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
9. Serve warm. with sour cream and a sprinkle of chives on top